Match Report – Meade Farm Group – IFC – Group A – Round 1 Bective V St Patricks

Meade Farm Group – IFC – Group A – Round 1

Full Time

Bective: 2-9(15)

St Patrick’s: 2-9(15)

Bective were well motivated for this long awaited first round Intermediate championship match against St Pats in Duleek. Missing a number of regulars through injury and three new championship starts Bective knew that they were going to have to work hard, and this they did right to the final whistle. St Pats drove through the middle in the first minute and could have opened with a goal but a great stop from Bective keeper Dylan Kenny resulted in a 45m kick which was converted. Paul McCabe pointed for Bective but St Pats kicked over two frees before Sean Keating pointed on 5 minutes. St Pats pointed another free kick and followed up with a goal on 10 minutes and looked very threatening. Although sometimes isolated Ben Malone and Jack Grant contested well in the Bective fullback line and cleared further danger. Bective worked the ball well, with Jack Clarke and Scott O’Sullivan working hard in the halfback line, Ciaran Reilly and Donagh Garvey at midfield, and delivered to the forward lines. Cathal Mc Connell constantly was available for the ball and ran at the St Pats defense and was dragged to the ground but the resulting free kicks were sent wide.               At the first water break St Pats had 1 – 4 on the scoreboard to Bective’s 0 – 2.

On the resumption Bective had ground to make up and pressed forward and Sean Keating was taken down. Ever aware he punted his quick free kick to midfielder Ciaran Reilly (married last Thursday) who showed a neat sidestep and blasted to the net on 17 minutes. Further attacks, with Con Smith working hard, on the St Pats goals were rewarded with two pointed free kicks from Paul McCabe. Keating forced a turnover on the St Pats keeper and delivered to Mc Connell who lobbed to the net on 24 minutes and Mc Connell followed up with a point from play on 25 minutes to put Bective ahead by 4 points. St Pats continued to have adequate possession and won two further free kicks which were pointed and added a point from play.

Half time score: Bective 2 – 5, St Pats 1 – 7.

St Pats continued their late dominance of the first half with a goal in the first minute of the second half. Kevin Brennan came in at corner back for the injured Ben Malone. Brian Cantwell pointed from play for Bective and St Pats pointed a further free kick on 4 minutes. Dara Maguire was brought in to the half forward line and also Jarlath Brennan. St Pats contributed a number of wides and both teams failed to score for the next 10 minutes before St Pats added a point from play before the final water break.  On the resumption both teams were guilty of further wides and time was running out for Bective as St Pats held possession out the field. Ciaran Mc Connell was introduced into the full forward line with 5 minutes remaining in the game and became a significant option. Bective forced some turnovers and won some long range free kicks. Debutant Con Smith fired over off the ground on 30 minutes. Smith pointed from play shortly afterwards and again off the ground on 33 minutes to level the scoring. Both sides had opportunities in the remaining minutes to take the two points from this competitive match but had to settle for a draw match.

Bective 2 – 9, St Pats 2 – 9.

Bective team:

Dylan Kenny, Ben Malone, Paul Lyness, Jack Grant, Scott O’Sullivan, David Keating, Jack Clarke, Ciaran Reilly, Donagh Garvey, Colin O’Rourke, Cathal Mc Connell, Con Smith, Paul McCabe, Sean Keating, Brian Cantwell.


By paulagreif Sun 15th Aug